3/02/2010

Why this bride owns 3 dresses


I knew it would happen. I have dress commitment issues. I knew dress shopping would be a HUGE ordeal for me. Lets face it, everything I do is always a big production...
In my search for the "perfect" gown, I tried on nearly 200 dresses. No this is not an exaggeration. I wish it was. I started dress shopping over the summer, it is now March. Thats almost a full YEAR of dress shopping!
Who does that?? Me, that's who!
 Lets start with just some of my dress rejects. The pictures alone will make it a long post. Sorry!



 
Loved this Yolanda couture however I didn't love the 3k price tag

   
OMG!!! LOL!! This is why I can NOT wear a V neck or anything with a sweetheart neckline. Look at my bony ass chest..EWWW!! My daughter was rolling at this picture lol!!

  
This did nothing for my shape at all. Now you know why I cant wear an A line dress. Does nothing for me at all.

  
V neck again.lol

  
Now I actually really liked this dress. My son asked me if I was marrying the FONZE lmfao. Said no to that one after that lol
  

 
Pretty princess. I still really like this dress but every person said it was not me at all

  
Oh wow. Katie(my Daughter) laughed at this one. I just cant wear a dress without a drop waist!


 I always wanted to try on this dress, I then saw it on and it was a definite no!


  
This was a real contender! What a difference a drop waist makes on me. I loved it but it was just to plain.

 
 nope..didnt like it at all.


  
Another my daughter ROTFL about lol. That V neck again lol. Not for me. Why did I keep trying them on?


  
Liked it, the caps made me feel really restricted


  
ummmm no..NEXT!!


  
Ahh the maternity dress as my MOH called it. She said it looked like I was hiding something. NOT what a mom of 4 wants to hear lol


  
Was just ok


  
My FH LOVED this dress, He wanted me to get it. I however, could not get past that diagonal line down the front of the skirt. It looks out of place or something!


  
Pretty, straps drove me BONKERS



  
This dress I loved until my FH flipped a damn lid over the black sash. Caused a huge ass riff lol. He said it wasnt wedding-ish and that black is not appropriate at all. I will admit, I couldnt sit in the damn thing..but I would of sacrificed lol


   
LOL!! This was the 1st dress I EVER tried on. My daughter still loves it. This was when I realized the pick up gown I always dreamed of was not for me. The thing weighed like 50 pounds!! I look like a wedding cake!!

 


Ahh the Maggie.. Every bride loves Maggie. I did too. I have real issues with mermaid gowns. I am 5ft 8 and weigh only 112 pounds. Its not very flattering on me to make me look even skinnier. Stunning dress though...still is to me!


  
LOVE!! I really thought this dress was it..Remember when my FH freaked out over the black sash? When I tried this on I realized I didnt even care what he though..thats awful! lol. As time went on, I realized I DID care what he thought. The dress is still FAB, but it is his day to. This to me ladies is the dress that got away. I still think of her off and on. Just goes to show that I let others effect my judgment. Not a good thing but in the end..no regrets at all.


So there is just a FEW of the dresses I tried on my search for the perfect gown. In the end, this was the dress I purchased.
  
I purchased this gown the day after Thanksgiving. Two days after this purchase, my Maid of Honor came out to see the dress and select the bridesmaid gowns. She smiled and did the traditional "awwwwwww!!" We left the salon to hit another salon..mistake. We get to the other salon and my wonderful cousin and maid of honor requested that I model some dresses for her since she had only seen me in one gown. HUGE mistake!! My cousin sees me in one dress..she starts CRYING and goosebumps all over. "You look like a bride!" she yells. She did yell it too.  It was a sample gown for only $99. I call my wonderful Fiancee explaining the issue. I fell in love with another dress...

He knew it would happen. He knows me all to well. So, this becomes dress purchase number 2

 
She is a beautiful dress for sure. I was excited for about 3 days..then I realized this is Barbie, not me. I am not a tiara girl. I decide to start re- working the dress to look the way I want it to look. It starts to look like this...
 
I really start to dig it now!! There was some major adjustments to be made though. I wanted more pleats to be fitted down  to the hips, less pick ups and so on..It lead to sticker shock. The seamstress informed me that to rework the gown the way I want it would run me a pretty penny. UGH!!!!! I was not happy at all. 
Then came the question...
I loved the dress when it would cost me $300. Would I still love it if it cost me more? The answer was no. For what it would cost, I could get a whole new dress. It kind of took the whole "sample" sale out of the gown.....
In the process of all of this, I needed a ceremony gown. We are getting married privately but I wanted something cute for pictures..maybe something I could use again and switch into during our formal reception. I found this beauty on Etsy and it is being custom made as I type this...

 
If you lost track..that's 3 dresses

Well now that the sample dress fell through I needed a new dress. The sample gown money never got spent so technically I own 2 gowns now.
I would of been perfectly happy rockin that killer 1950's number above, but my Fiancee wanted to see me in something more. I then found this beauty.

I saw this dress at the salon a few weeks ago and I had dreams about her. I never obsessed so much over a dress before. When the owner of the salon asked what new dress I wanted to try on..I ran to her. This ladies is my THIRD dress.





  

God, do I LOVE her..DEEPLY. Chic, modern...vintage. Everything I wanted in one gown. It took me almost a year to find her but it was well worth it.
Did I go over budget you ask? Not really. The only part I went over with was the $150.00 for my sexy little 50's number. Once I sell my first gown I will be under budget. 

I guess the lesson learned for me through all of this is that I let people influence me. I was always looking for others acceptance in every gown I wanted instead of looking to myself. That was not easy at all for me. I realized that I needed to stay true to myself in some way and not worry about what others think. Of course I take my Fiancees opinions to heart and he has seen pictures of me in every gown. He has a vision as well and I wanted his vision to be seen just like mine. In the end, it all worked out. My fiancee saw my recent dress and smiled ear to ear and said it was beautiful. He never said that before. 

He then said this to me...
"Thank GOD it doesnt have any of that black sh*t on it!!!"

LOL!! At least he stayed consistent..he never wanted black on a wedding gown. I always did, but its about compromise right?

 
 


 
 


 
 
 
 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww I love seeing you on the journey to your perfect dress!! I can't imagine how hard of a decision this would be for a bride. I look at some of the dresses you've been through and think WOW she totally rocks that dress....and then some that make me cringe, seeing it on you haha!!! You would look FAB in a paper sack girl!!! lol I'm so happy you found the one and she looks AMAZING on you!! :) xoxo

Born to be Mrs. Beever said...

Holy crap! You sure did try on a ton of dresses! Many pretty ones for sure. And I really love the first one you actually purchased. Like you, I had doubts about my purchase after I made it but never went out to buy another gown. I needed to stay true to how I felt when I decided to buy it.

I do get a second dress though in that I'm changing into a simpler dress for the dancing at the reception.

And like you, I am 5'8" and only 107 lbs...so I totally needed a gown that wasn't going to make me look even skinnier! Congrats on the fun shopping experience...you had some great inspiration.

Unknown said...

great journey !! :) haha... yeah we both used to have 3 dresses. haha.. I'm glad you finally found it! put more more pics on ur blog shayne. I love it!!!! xoxox