12/09/2009

DIY SarahDarling's Vintage-Inspired Jewellery (with instructions)!

The wonderful Sarah posted. Sarah was inspired by this post.
I actually did this today and I just need to find the correct clasp for 3 strands.
So I share with you this awesome layered DIY necklace:

What you need:
- beads (I used white glass pearls)
- beading wire or fishing line
- crimping beads
- a pair of pliers to crimp the beads
- scissors (not a good pair because you are cutting through wire)
- clasps that have multiple hooks

I started with the shortest length of necklace.
Step 1:
- Cut the bead string wire about 20" in length, this is more than you'll need but you use the extra to help finish the ends
Step 2:
- Take a crimp bead and thread the stringing wire through the crimp bead, then through the first hole of your clasp and back through the crimp ring, creating a loop. (SEE PICTURE)
Step 3:
-Pull the stringing wire taught and squeeze the crimp bead with the pliers. Cut off the excess end. (SEE PICTURE)
Step 4:
- String however many beads onto the wire and when I had strung all the beads onto the first layer I held it up to my neck to judge whether it was long/short enough. When I was happy with the length I repeated Steps 2 + 3 to complete the first layer.

Then you just repeat all of these steps for the rest of the layers, adding more length of wire for each layer. To make the bracelet I used the exact same steps, just made everything shorter.

I got the earrings from Bitter Sweet in the Eaton Centre in Toronto. If any GTA brides are looking for reasonably priced jewellery I would totally check them out. I wish I had found it sooner!


 




So here are some pictures of my attempt. I hope I can find a clasp *UGH!!*

 
Not the best quality I know. I actually wanted to use a glass bead or a good quality, however the white was not a bright white and my dress is. I hope it doesn't look cheap. I will hopefully add the clasp tomorrow and get some pictures of it on!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hellooooo *waves hand in the air...jewelry maker here!! lol These are gorgeous!! You should have told me, I can make them for you...just send me the supplies you've bought already. :P Do you like mother of pearl? Would be perfect for this!!!!

Unpredictable Mom said...

LOL!! I thought of you but didnt want to bother ya..sorry!! I had to buy fake or plastic pearls because the other pearls (glass etc) were not white enough. My dress is bright white. The other beads I have though match perfectly. Maybe I'll send the beads because seriously I am having issues trying to figure out the clasps etc.

Iva Messy said...

great job!! ;)DIY is always so much fun!

Anonymous said...

pfftt on bothering me with it!! I would love to help!! Just let me know, if you can't get it figured out.... send it to me and I can get it put together for you. .....it really sucks we live so far away from each other!! I wish I lived closer!!:)

Unpredictable Mom said...

I agree Iva..I love DIY! My Daughter asked me why I was doing it when I can just buy one lol.