1/07/2010

Trying to negotiate.

While planning our wedding, I realized something..never fear negotiation.
The recession is effecting venues as well, so try to negotiate! I am saying TRY here. As you read on you will realize that my #1 venue choice acts as if their doing me a favor..
I was really in love with a certain venue,  their prices not so much. What I did was get a price list from my second choice (which happens to be the other sites competitor). I then took this list to the manager of the venue #1 choice and said:
"We need to work something out here, what can you do for US"?

She took this price list from my second venue and went over it with a fine tooth comb. Fine by me! We got them to upgrade us to a whirlpool suite with the conjoined room for free. We got them to dismiss the 50 cent per person set up fee. They dropped the bartender fees, reduced the price on bottled beer (one being Corona) from $6.00 per person to $4.50. Sounds great right? Keep reading!

We were pretty much set except for our menu. My second choice venue offers cheaper prices for Fridays. $10.00 per person cheaper. Filet Mignon and boneless chicken breast is $57.90 on a Friday at venue choice #2. My first choice venue is $67.95 (OUCH!!)on a Friday. This just does not site right with me at all.
Today the manager called me to give me a updated price. $1.00 less. Yeah, ya heard me right..a whole BUCK less. So were at $66.95 now. (Umm, gee thanks!)

With that said, Chris and I still need to negotiate. I refuse to pay that on a Friday. We paid a $2,000 deposit to hold the date, this deposit was paid before we settled on a final food price. In all honesty, vendor choice number 1 isn't really doing much.

Vendor 2 offers
-no set up fees
-whirlpool suite is INCLUDED for the couple
-no bartender fees
-guest rooms $89.00 per night
-4 hr open bar
-main entree,soup,salad,potato,vegetable,dessert (ice cream) and beverage
-wedding cake
-SELECTION of napkin and table cloth colors
-$5.00 per chair cover
-Bottle beer included in price.They do not serve draft beer



Venue choice 1 offers
-50 cent per person set up fee
-4 hr open bar
-no whirlpool suite, just a king size room
-guest rooms $109.00 per night
-same food as above but NO ice cream
-wedding cake
-NO selection of linen color. White is all they offer. If I want black..$10 bucks extra per table
-$5.00 per chair cover
-bartender fee of $75.00 (really?!!)
-they only serve draft. Bottle beer is extra $4.50 per person for Miller Light & MGD
Imported is $6.00 per person

So as I look back, what has venue choice #1 really done for me?Nothing! They dropped fees the other place was never charging. They upgraded us to a room we already had at venue option #2

As I wrote this and did some proof reading, I went to Chris. He had the same reaction I did. What exactly are they doing for us?

 As I said, never be afraid to negotiate. Just be smart enough to know when you are being played.
Venue choice number 2 here we come!!
I will keep you updated on this. Chris is calling them Friday to pitch a fit. Either they match dollar for dollar or we are gone.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I think the second venue sounds much, much better just from the package listing you included! Let us know what happens!